The Integrated Research and Action for Development (IRADe), established in 2002, is a leading independent not-for-profit Indian policy research institution based in Delhi. IRADe provides informed opinions and implementable, scalable, and replicable solutions to address some of the biggest challenges faced by mankind with respect to climate change and environment, clean energy transition, sustainable development, agriculture and food security, and poverty alleviation and gender equality.
As a powerful force for good, IRADe – that works closely with key decision-makers at governments at the federal and local levels, domestic and international philanthropies, multilateral funding institutions, UN agencies, NGOs and civil society organizations, the academic community, and businesses – always factors in the big picture of how its interventions could make a tangible difference in improving the quality of life of people worldwide. Especially for those living in a developing country like India that is home to almost 17% of the global population.
Over the past 20 years, the multi-disciplinary, outcome-oriented perspectives provided by IRADe have formed the basis of numerous policy decisions taken by the Government of India for ensuring sustainable and inclusive growth. IRADe has also been a significant contributor in the formulation of India’s stand at the global summits on climate change, the Conference of the Parties (COP). Policy-related suggestions put forward by IRADe in connection with the power and energy sector, moreover, have made their way into government policies in other south Asian countries also.
IRADe’s recognitions include, among others, being certified as a Research & Development organization by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, and being recognized as a Centre of Excellence by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (erstwhile Ministry of Urban Development), Government of India.
To be a leading Global Independent policy research Think Tank that provides and enables implementable policy solutions for sustainable and inclusive development.
To carry out policy analysis from multi-stakeholder and multi-disciplinary perspectives for decision-makers in the thematic areas of climate change and environment; energy and power systems; sustainable urban development; agriculture and food security; poverty alleviation and gender. Using policy research and analysis, consensus building and dialogues, capacity building, monitoring and evaluation.
- Integrate multi-disciplinary and multi-stakeholder perspectives concerning issues of development.
- Promote wider consensus, through research and analysis, on effective policies.
- Engage and work at local, district, state, national, South Asia regional and global levels.
- Provide research support to developing countries for development and for negotiation process for international agreements.
- Carry out policy research that accounts for the political economy of the society and effectiveness of governance.
Thematic Areas of Focus
- Energy & Power Systems
- Sustainable Urban Development
- Climate Change & Environment
- Poverty Alleviation & Gender
- Agriculture & Food Security
- Asia Centre for Sustainable Development(this appears to be more of a special initiative, and it is up to IRADe to decide whether to still retain it under this head)
What Sets Us Apart
- Unique multi-disciplinary approach that factors in the big picture without missing out on the local context.
- Strong focus on providing workable solutions.
- Multi stakeholder engagement decision-makers & influencers among all stakeholder groups.